The 2023 Healthy Communities Initiative closed March 3, 2023.
Please check back for details regarding the 2024 grant cycle.
Click here to view this year’s grant recipients.
The Healthy Communities Initiative is focused on supporting regular programming needs of nonprofit organizations for the continuation or enhancement of existing projects, the development of new project offerings, and projects that improve the organization’s internal capacity to work effectively. The Healthy Communities Initiative provides support to nonprofit organizations operating health-related programming.
The Healthy Communities Initiative is a one-stage application process that consists of submitting the full application. Potential applicants do not need to submit a Letter of Inquiry. A potential applicant should review the Criteria section to ensure that your organization meets the Foundation’s basic eligibility requirements. Additionally, a potential applicant should review the Health and Wellness Focus Area, Capacity Building Focus Area, and Core Priorities Focus Areas to ensure your proposed project is appropriately aligned with at least one of the Foundation’s Focus Areas. The grant period is for one year.
If you have questions about a project, please contact:
- Jana Stoner, Health Program Officer, at 304-397-5955, ext. 105, email@example.com
- Claire Snyder, Health Program Officer, at 304-397-5955, ext. 104, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view the 2023 application questions:
- Click here for requests between $3,500 and $15,000
- Click here for requests between $15,001 and $50,000
Key dates for the 2023 application cycle:
|Application Opening||January 6, 2023|
|Application Submission Deadline||March 3, 2023|
|Funding Decision Announcement||May 25, 2023|
|Grant Performance Period||June 1, 2023 to
May 31, 2024
Grant Application Guidelines
All Healthy Communities Initiative applications must be submitted through the Foundation’s grant management system. An application submitted through any other format will not be accepted. To begin the process, click here to establish an Organization Account or login to your existing account.
For questions about using the Foundation’s grant management system, please contact:
- Sarah Furrow, Grants Manager, at 304-397-5955, ext. 102, email@example.com.
The following information will be requested on the grant application:
Grant Application Information
- Organization’s full name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Contact name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Brief description of the organization’s purpose and mission.
- Organization’s tax-exempt status verification.
- Brief summary of the organization’s accomplishments and ability to address the identified needs for which the proposed project will be implemented.
- Description of the problem or needs the project will address
- Definition of the population the project will target
- Desired goals and outcomes for the project and how those outcomes will be measured
- Timeline for achieving the project goals and outcomes
- Supporting facts and data in support of the project
- Compatibility of the proposed project with the Foundation’s Mission and Vision for funding
Grant Funding Request, Financial Information, and Other Supporting Data
- Total cost of project
- Projected amount of funding request with project budget
- Other funders for project including community support and in-kind donations
- Current year financial statements
- Audit reports as available
Generally, the Foundation does not fund grants for:
- Academic scholarships
- Capital items
- Indirect costs
- Other foundations
- Playground equipment
- Projects over one year in duration
- Projects outside the Foundation’s 20-county region
The Foundation Board and staff will review the application for project approval and funding level and notify each applicant of the decision.
Please note that the Foundation may consider or exclude expenses on a case-by-case basis.