The Healthy Communities Initiative is focused on supporting regular programming needs of nonprofit organizations for the continuation or enhancement of existing projects, the development of new project offerings, and projects that improve the organization’s internal capacity to work effectively. The Healthy Communities Initiative provides support to nonprofit organizations operating health-related programming. You can view the Request for Proposal here. You can view the Long Form Application Questions here and the Short Form Application Questions here.
The Healthy Communities Initiative is a one-stage application process that consists of submitting the full application. Potential applicants do not need to submit a Letter of Inquiry. A potential applicant should review the Criteria section to ensure that your organization meets the Foundation’s basic eligibility requirements. Additionally, a potential applicant should review the Health and Wellness Focus Area, Capacity Building Focus Area, and Core Priorities Focus Areas to ensure your proposed project is appropriately aligned with at least one of the Foundation’s Focus Areas. If you have questions about your project, please contact Jana Stoner, Health Program Officer, at 304-397-5955 ext. 105, firstname.lastname@example.org or Claire Snyder, Health Program Officer, at 304-397-5955 ext. 104, email@example.com.
The grant period will be for one year. Key dates for this application cycle are:
|Request for Proposals Issued||September 1, 2021|
|Proposal Submission Deadline||September 30, 2021|
|Funding Decision Announcements||November 22, 2021|
|Grant Agreements & Funding Awards||November 22 – November 30, 2021|
|Grant Performance Period||December 1, 2021 – November 30, 2022|
Grant Application Guidelines
All Healthy Communities Initiative applications must be submitted through the Foundation’s grant management system. An application submitted through any other format will not be accepted. To begin the process, click here to establish an Organization Account or login to your existing account. For questions about using the grant management system, applicants should contact Brooke Welch, Grants Manager, at 304-397-5955 ext. 102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following information will be requested on the grant application:
Grant Application Information:
- Organization’s full name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Contact name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Brief description of the organization’s purpose and mission.
- Organization’s tax-exempt status verification.
- Brief summary of the organization’s accomplishments and ability to address the identified needs for which the proposed project will be implemented.
- Description of the problem or needs the project will address.
- Definition of the population the project will target.
- Desired goals and outcomes for the project and how those outcomes will be measured.
- Timeline for achieving the project goals and outcomes.
- Supporting facts and data in support of the project.
- Compatibility of the proposed project with the PFH’s Mission and Vision for funding.
Grant Funding Request, Financial Information, and Other Supporting Data:
- Total cost of project.
- Projected amount of funding request with project budget.
- Other funders for project including community support and in-kind donations.
- Current year financial statements.
- Audit reports as available.
Generally, the Foundation does not fund grants for:
- Academic Scholarships
- Capital Items
- Indirect Costs
- Other Foundations
- Playground Equipment
- Projects over one year in duration
- Projects outside the twenty-county Tri-State region
The Foundation Board and staff will review the application for project approval and funding level and notify each applicant of the decision. Please note that the Foundation may consider or exclude expenses on a case-by-case basis.